How to get started on your home improvement project.Published on 19th March 2014
Any home improvement project can be a daunting prospect, no matter how much you want it. The thought of planning and organising alone can leave you in need of a good lie down, and as for the dirt, disruption and general inconvenience of it all… Does anyone happen to have a spare sedative to hand? Whether you are attempting a small repair or a complete overhaul, like an Apropos glazed extension, there are a number of steps that you can take to help smooth your path.
Five Things to Take the Stress from a Home Improvement Project
- Know what you want – It might sound obvious, but before you begin any renovation, you need to decide exactly what it is you want. Say, for example, you’re looking to let more light into your kitchen. This can be achieved in several ways; bigger windows; a skylight; extending internally; extending externally. Each results in a completely different expense, procedure and outcome.
- Research – Familiarising yourself with a project is equally important whether you’re going to do the work yourself or employ professionals, like Apropos, to help you. It can be tempting to just leap in, but that way lies delay, complication, excess cost and sometimes complete disaster.
- Set a budget – There is an innate optimism that leads almost everyone to underestimate a home renovation project, so start out realistically. Take into account planning fees, contractor fees and material costs, then give yourself a buffer for unexpected surprises (like the dodgy DIY wiring your home’s last owner installed). Consider working with a company who will handle all the hard work for you – and thus roll the majority of your costs into one.
- Permission impossible – Not all home renovations need planning permission, but it is essential that you check before you get started. Building without planning permits can lead to untold complications, expense, and in the worst-case, the destruction of your work. At Apropos we have a team of planning experts to take care of the legal requirements, but if you’re going it alone make sure that you adhere to proper safety regulations and the local authority planning remit.
- Batten down the hatches! – While most reputable contractors, like Apropos, will endeavour to minimise the disruption caused by any work on your home, in reality there will be mess, and your daily routine will be at sixes and sevens. If it’s a big project consider staying with a relative and book your pets a holiday at the local kennels. If you’re staying at home, move the fridge to somewhere easily reached and stock up on microwave meals. For smaller projects declutter the work area before you start to avoid additional cleaning. If you expect the worst, you can only be pleasantly surprised!
For a consultation with one of Apropos’ Design Experts please call: 0800 328 0033 or click here to order a copy of our latest brochure.Return to Blog